5.NF.2 – Does this include mixed numbers?

Home Forums Questions about the standards 3–5 Fractions 5.NF.2 – Does this include mixed numbers?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    SteveG
    Participant

Forgive me if this seems like a silly question, but the language of 5.NF.2 includes mixed numbers, right?
    5.NF.2 = Solve word problems involving addition and subtraction of fractions referring to the same whole, including cases of unlike denominators, e.g., by using visual fraction models or equations to represent the problem. Use benchmark fractions and number sense of fractions to estimate mentally and assess the reasonableness of answers.

I was discussing this with a colleague the other day and noticed that 5.NF.2 just says “fractions” but it follows 5.NF.1 (and seems to be the application of the skills in 5.NF.1), so it would make sense to think that 5.NF.2 includes word problems with mixed numbers. The example in the G3-5 Fraction progression doc (page 11) does not have mixed numbers, so I am not sure what to do.
    Any insight would be much appreciated.

Bill McCallum
    Keymaster

You can certiainly have problems about comparing mixed numbers. Mixed numbers are really sums of fractions, i.e. 3 2/5 is really a shorthand way of writing 3 + 2/5. So, depending on how the student does the comparison, it might call on their knowledge of 5.NF.3 as well as 5.NF.2.

Remember that the standards are goals to be achieved by the end of the year, so you don’t have to think of them as curricular units, nor does the order in which the standards are written necessarily relate to the order of topics in the curriculum.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.