6.NS.5 and the Number Line

Home Forums Questions about the standards 6–8 The Number System 6.NS.5 and the Number Line

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Silas Kulkarni
    Participant

Some other math coaches and I were having a recent discussion about whether it makes sense to include the number line in lessons introducing 6.NS.5. Here is the quote:
    “We are wondering how much (if at all) to bring the number line into this lesson set [on 6.NS.5]. The standard feels focused on real world and less about the number line as a model. However, there is the reasoning that prior knowledge of a number line will help a student get a deeper understanding of 6.NS.5. But then 6.NS.6 explicitly mentions the number line.

6.NS.5:
    Understand that positive and negative numbers are used together to describe quantities having opposite directions or values (e.g., temperature above/below zero, elevation above/below sea level, credits/debits, positive/negative electric charge); use positive and negative numbers to represent quantities in real-world contexts, explaining the meaning of 0 in each situation.

6.NS.6:
    Understand a rational number as a point on the number line. Extend number line diagrams and coordinate axes familiar from previous grades to represent points on the line and in the plane with negative number coordinates.”

What do you guys think? Do you think the first quadrant all positive vertical and horizontal number line from 5.G.2 should be mentioned as prior knowledge in [a review] section? Do you think they should be presented with a numberline of positive and negative numbers in 6.NS.5 at all or should it all wait until 6.NS.6?”

Since several of us were wondering about this, I thought it would be useful to bring it to the forum.

Thanks for your help.

Bill McCallum
    Keymaster

One point I would make is that the order of the standards does not necessarily correspond to the order of topics in the curriculum (see p. 5 of the standards). I could imagine teaching about rational numbers on the number line first, and then giving applications of negative numbers as in 6.NS.5. Or you could do it the other way around. In that case the temperature model lends itself particularly well to introducing the negative extension of the number line, since a thermometer is really just a vertical number line.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.