7.NS.1a

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Ashli
    Participant

Do you know if 7.NS.1a implies students will know the names of properties, or just be able to use them? (like additive, commutative, associative)

Bill McCallum
    Keymaster

I’m thinking you mean 7.NS.2a here:

Understand that multiplication is extended from fractions to rational numbers by requiring that operations continue to satisfy the properties of operations, particularly the distributive property, leading to products such as $(-1)(-1)=1$ and the rules for multiplying signed numbers. Interpret products of rational numbers by describing real-world contexts.

To some extent using the properties will require developing names for them. The standards don’t require that students know the formal names: that’s really up to curriculum developers. The most important one here is the distributive property, and it’s hard to imagine talking about it without naming it. I’m not sure it’s as important to name the commutative and associate properties. Many textbooks give a name to the combination of these two properties, something like the “any order any grouping principle.” I think that’s fine, but others might disagree. Anyway, the standards don’t settle that point.

Ashli
    Participant

Actually typo-ed the letter. Meant 7.NS.1d, but your reply is spot on.

Thanks!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.