What is the difference between 8.ee.7 and A.REI.1 ?

Home Forums Questions about the standards 6–8 Expressions and Equations What is the difference between 8.ee.7 and A.REI.1 ?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

8.EE.7b ….. including equations whose solutions require expanding expressions using the distributive property and collecting like terms.

A.REI.1 Explain each step in solving a simple equation as following from the equality of numbers asserted at the previous step, starting from the assumption that the original equation has a solution. Construct a viable argument to justify a solution method.

I am confused as to what will be the difference in one variable linear equatIons solved at each level. In the eighth grade standard, distribution ans collecting like terms is already mentioned thus students will be solving multi-step one problems in 8th grade. What is the difference in the algebra standard? Other than justifying steps I do not see a difference. But I would never teach solving equation without the accompanying justification for each step anyway.

…confused.

Bill McCallum
    Keymaster

There are two differences that I can see: (a) the one you noticed, that A.REI.1 explicitly asks students to explain the reasoning and (b) A.REI.1 is not limited to linear equations.

As for (a), “justifying the steps” sometimes ends up being a recitation of rules, e.g. “I added a 5 to both sides.” A.REI.1 is asking for more than that. It is asking for students to see each step as an if-then statement: if x – 5 = 3 then (x-5) + 5 = 3 + 5, therefore x = 8.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.